- October 15, 2021 -- An expanded, full color edition of The Big Splash has been published.
Cosmic Rain: The Controversial Discovery
of Small Comets by Louis A. Frank brings the story up to date.
- May 16, 2014 -- Obituary
of Louis A. Frank 1938-2014.
- March 1, 2001 -- The Journal of Geophysical Research publishes a
new analysis by Louis A. Frank and John B. Sigwarth
in which a second ground-based telescope is found to have taken images of
the small comets.
- January 9, 2001 -- Small Comet Topic on Tap for Prestigious
Niels Bohr Lecture.
- November 29, 1999 -- An Illustrated
version of The University of Iowa's 16th Annual Presidential Lecture:
Louis A. Frank, "Small Comets and Our Origins: The Ecstasy and Agony of
the Scientific Debate."
- February 21, 1999 -- The University of Iowa's 16th
Annual Presidential Lecture: Louis A. Frank, "Small Comets and Our Origins:
The Ecstasy and Agony of the Scientific Debate." The text of the
lecture in MS Word format or
Adobe PDF format.
- January 1, 1999 -- Journal of Geophysical Research publishes
important results of a new automated survey by
Louis A. Frank and John B. Sigwarth, "Atmospheric Holes: Instrumental and
- January 1, 1999 -- New Small Comet
Images from NASA's Polar Spacecraft.
- September 1, 1998 -- "How to Search for Small Comets", a technical
note by Dr. Louis A. Frank.
- May 26, 1998 -- Seasonal Variations
Observed in Small Comet Occurrance Rates, presented at the Spring
1998 meeting of the American Geophysical Union in Baltimore, MD.
- December 9, 1997 -- Polar's "Atmospheric
Holes" Pass Reality Test, a presentation for the fall '97 meeting of the American Geophysical Union
- December 3, 1997 -- All Dynamics Explorer - 1 and Polar Imager Data Available On-Line
- November 29, 1997 -- Fifteen Small Comet Discoveries
from the Polar spacecraft.
- September 24, 1997 -- Four new small comet papers by Louis Frank and
John Sigwarth are being published in the Oct. 1, 1997 issue of
Geophysical Research Letters (Vol. 24 No. 19).
- August 21, 1997 -- Experiment Aboard Shuttle
Discovery Backs Small comet Discovery
- July 13, 1997 -- What happened to Louis A. Frank since the
discovery of the small comets in 1986? From The Washington Post.
- May 28, 1997 -- Announcement of the Latest Small Comet Findings
at the spring meeting of the American Geophysical Union.
[The Original Discovery]
[For More Information]